If your answer to this is yes then there are a few things you will need to consider before making a decision. When you are thinking you would like to buy a tortoise rather than any other type of family pet these are just some of the basic facts to consider.
1. What type would be best suited to your lifestyle and budget?
2. How much time and money do you have to care for your new pet?
3. How much room will your pet require to live happily and healthily?
4. What sort of diet will your pet require?
5. What do you have to provide in its enclosure in order for it to thrive?
6. Can you keep more than one type or species in one enclosure?
7. What to look for when you are thinking of getting a baby tortoise?
8. Questions to ask the breeder or owner of the pet shop?
9. How to spot if your pet is sick or injured before you buy?
10. What are the legal requirements (if any) to keeping a tortoise?
These are just a few of the questions you need to answer before you even go to look at any chelonian. You must do some homework into how to keep and care for your pet as they may appear at first glance to be almost maintenance free, after all you don’t have to take them for a walk two or three times a day! But, these little creatures do require a relatively high amount of input from you in order to ensure they have the correct living conditions, correct diet and are able to live without stress and discomfort.
If you want to buy a tortoise for a family pet they can make the perfect companion depending on your expectations and level of commitment. There are so many different species from which to choose and there will be a suitable one for your circumstances. The worst thing you could do is not to do your homework and research and find yourself with a giant tortoises which requires a huge input of both money and time! Also remember tortoises are very long lived so you will have to ensure you and your family are happy to take on this life-long commitment.
Ellie Bear is a tortoise enthusiast and has been keeping tortoises for many years. If you are interested to find out more about these amazing creatures go to Tortoise Tips where you will find lots more in-depth information on caring for your tortoise and what to look for when you want to Buy a Tortoise.